Happy 4th of July! In honor of this holiday, let’s honor American wines by looking at the wine made in each of the 50 states. Many people don’t realize that wine is produced in all 50 states. While California produces 89 percent of all US wine, the remaining 11 percent still represents a substantial amount of fermented juice. [Read more…]
Many wine lovers get passionate when discussing the comparative virtues of old world wine and new world wine. For people new to these terms, old world wine comes from France, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain, the classic wine-making regions of Europe. New world wine comes from everywhere else.
So why do people get so excited about this topic? Pride is a key reason. Every country believes they make the best wine. So if you come from France, your old world wine is the best. If you come from New Zealand, your new world wine is the best.
Beyond the emotion that comes into play, there are distinct differences between old world and new world wine that I will highlight in the simplified table below. [Read more…]